Page 2 of 5
Riding the bus
School bus transportation is safe. In fact, buses are safer than cars! Even so, every year students are killed and injured in incidents involving school buses. More often than not, these deaths and injuries did not occur in a crash, but as the pupils were entering and exiting the bus. Remember these safety tips:
- Have a safe place to wait for your bus, away from traffic and the street.
- Stay away from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver signals you to enter.
- When being dropped off, exit the bus and walk ten giant steps away from the bus. Keep a safe distance between you and the bus. Also, remember that the bus driver can see you best when you are back away from the bus.
- Use the handrail to enter and exit the bus.
- Stay away from the bus until the driver gives his/her signal that it's okay to approach.
- Be aware of the street traffic around you. Drivers are required to follow certain rules of the road concerning school buses, however, not all do. Protect yourself and watch out!